Holy Crap!

Today, we froze 2 additional blasts.

I attribute this outcome to the protocol change, the addition of PICSI, and just dumb luck.

Sure the embryos aren’t PGS tested yet, but this a significant win for us.

Advertisements

IVF #7

IVF #7 started yesterday with Lupron.

I received an actual calendar with my medications and dates on it (6 IVFs behind me, and this is the first time I’ve received a calendar) and my protocol is extremely different than anything we’ve tried before.

Different, in our case is good. Change is good here. And hey, it can’t be worse than 3 cycles where the outcome is 0 embryos.

However, we have very realistic expectations as to the outcome of this cycle. If, by chance, there are any blasts on day 5 or 6, we will be having 24 chromosome genetic screening done on them via Natera in California.

I’ve received oh so many medication boxes in the past 4 years, and was surprised to see the 14 pre-filled syringes of Ganirelix that arrived at my house for this cycle.  I guess I should be grateful this Ganirelix heavy cycle did not take place 2 years ago when there was a shortage of this particular medication.

I have kept fairly detailed accounts of my prior 6 IVFs (dosages, estrogen, follicles and the like), so I am curious how my body will respond to this new medication protocol.

For those of you who are geekily interested, here is approximate overview of my meds calendar:
Days 1-8 – Lupin
Day 9-12 – Ganirelix in the AM
Day 13-16 – Ganirelix in the AM.  225 Follistim and 1 vial of Menopur in the PM.  60mg Lovenox.
Day 17-22 – Ganirelix in the Am.  225 Follistim in the PM. 60mg Lovonox.
Day 23 – HCG Trigger
Day 24 – HCG Trigger
Day 25 – ER

180 Degrees

In a complete 180, we have decided to and are now prepping for a frozen transfer in June.

There are a lot of life ducks that must be lined up so we can take this next step.  Like scheduling time off our jobs, lying to our families (we are keeping this quiet), pushing for the best transfer doctor, and fitting in a vacation prior, those types of things.  The physical plan is just Estrace and PIO (and Lovenox, always Lovenox).  Oh and an Endometrial biopsy that I significantly advocated for.

I belong to an online PGD group and we’ve seen numerous women transfer chromosomally normal embryos but end up with a negative beta.  Testing after (via an endometrial biopsy) indicated inflammation and other issues that may have affected implantation. Our group is now questioning why an EB isn’t routinely done prior to a transfer?

I was prepared to go a few rounds with my doctor about this, and in fact, started my campaign, dressed in a hospital gown, just 10 minutes prior to my last egg retrieval.   Her initial response was “I see no indication this won’t work for you without an EB.”  I quietly told her “I know many women with chromosomally normal embryos who, it didn’t work for. And since I only have 1 embryo, I can’t be so cavalier with it.”  I followed this up with an e-mail, respectfully requesting we rule out as much as we can prior to a transfer. Like the rockstar that she is,  she promptly scheduled the EB for me.  Next Thursday.  Damn.  No time to mentally prep.  A clear cut case of you get what you argue for, huh?  At least I still have pain killers leftover from my first ER.

So, the next question is, are there any other tests or protocols I should be inquiring about?